According to the National Fire Protection Association, over 50,000 home fires involve electrical failure or malfunction every year. Many of these fires could have been prevented with proper electrical safety precautions. Keep your home and your family safe by following these four tips to boost electrical safety in your home.
Careful Use of Extension Cords is Huge in Electrical Safety
Accidents can be prevented by following simple safety tips when using extension cords. Here are some things to keep in mind when using extension cords:
- Inspect the cord before each use. Look for any frayed or exposed wires. Do not use a cord if it is damaged in any way.
- Make sure that the cord is rated for the amount of electricity that it will be carrying. A cord that is not appropriately rated can overheat and cause a fire.
- Do not overload the cord by plugging in too many devices. This can also cause the cord to overheat and pose a fire risk.
- When not in use, store extension cords out of reach of children and pets.
Don’t Overload Outlets to Avoid Electrical Safety Hazards
There are several reasons to avoid overloading outlets which can improve electrical safety. Most notably, overloading an outlet can cause a fire. This is because when an outlet is overloaded, it can cause the wire to overheat. Additionally, overloading an outlet can damage your appliances. If an overloaded outlet damages an appliance, it may not work correctly or at all and could pose a safety hazard. Finally, overloading outlets can trip circuit breakers. When this happens, it interrupts the flow of electricity, which can be dangerous.
Have an Electrician Make Repairs or Upgrades
It’s no secret that many homeowners attempt to take on electrical repairs themselves. While this might save a few bucks in the short run, it could cost you a lot more in the long run if something goes wrong. That’s why it’s always best to hire a qualified electrician to handle repairs or upgrades to your home’s electrical system. Not only will this ensure that the job is done right, but it can also help boost electrical safety in your home.
Unplug Small Appliances When They are Not in Use
We all have appliances in our homes that we use every day. We plug in and forget about some of these appliances, like our toaster or coffee maker. But did you know that unplugging these small appliances when they’re not in use can help improve your electrical safety? Unplug small appliances when you’re not using them to prevent electrical fires from overheating. By unplugging them when they’re not in use, you can be sure that this won’t happen.
Following these simple tips can help prevent electrical fires in your home and keep your family safe from harm. Always consult a qualified electrician if you ever have doubts about whether an appliance is safe to use or need help making repairs or upgrades to your home’s wiring.